THEVERGE – Feb 19 – Facebook is facing a lawsuit from the US Internal Revenue Service, which claims the social network owes $9B in unpaid taxes. The lawsuit went to trial in a San Francisco court on Tuesday, and the crux of the case is a 2010 deal between Facebook and an Irish subsidiary it uses to shuffle money around internationally. The IRS alleges Facebook undervalued the intellectual property it sold to the subsidiary, thereby dodging billions in taxes. In 2016, the EU ordered Apple to pay $15.4B in back taxes to Ireland after ruling that Apple had received illegal tax benefits from the country.
by Jay Peters
See full article at The Verge
PR NEWSWIRE – Feb 20 – Dating app Plenty of Fish is launching an advisory council comprised of real users. The Plenty of Fish team is for U.S. members who are passionate about sharing ideas and providing their insights on dating and the online dating experience. Members will receive early access to new products and features to test and inform product updates and will attend planning meetings with fellow members and POF executives.
See full article at PR Newswire
See the top news on POF
EXCHANGE4MEDIA – Feb 20 – „In India, OkCupid has over a million users and we facilitate 25K coffee dates per week,“ said Shruti Gupta, Brand Manager. Asked how important is India market in the global scenario, she said, „Unlike the markets in the west where dating is a norm, the concept is still in its nascent stages in India. However, social acceptability around dating is definitely increasing. India has one of the youngest populations in the world with over a third of its population (400M is born after 1982)“.
by Anjali Thakur
See full article at Exchange4Media
See the top news on OkCupid
THRIVE GLOBAL – Feb 20 – Justin grew up in Louisville, KY. After a few years in consulting, he attended Harvard Business School, then founded Hinge in 2011.
- It’s not the idea that counts. It’s the people and the market. What really drove our success was the group of smart, creative, loyal, gritty people I recruited, and the fact we were in an undervalued market.
- Be a coach, not a commander. I had to learn to stop directing people, and start coaching them, setting clear objectives, then asking how I can help them get there and show I believe they can!
- Focus on the customer, not the competition.
- Spend less time debating, more time experimenting. Survey, prototype, test.
- Routines and rules are the key to sanity. Daily yoga, meditation, and journaling (to zoom out and get perspective), and a weekly date with myself (usually ecstatic dance) and a date with my wife. Kate and I have a deal where neither of us spend time on our computers or devices from 8pm to 8am – every day!
My vision is for Hinge to not just be a dating platform, but a trusted expert that guides our members through the process of connecting with the person best for them. Hinge Labs is launching at the beginning of 2020 to address this.
by Carly Martinetti
See full article at Thrive Global
See the top news on Hinge